Dr. Kecia Gaither is a double board-certified physician in OB/GYN and Maternal Fetal Medicine and holds a Masters’ degree in Public Health. A perinatal consultant and women’s health expert, Gaither’s expertise is grounded in both research and her professional experience in caring for women with diabetes, HIV and obesity in pregnancy. In her current role, Dr. Gaither serves as the Director of Perinatal Services for NYC Health+Hospitals/Lincoln.
A New York City native, Gaither’s mission as a medical professional is to offer exemplary prenatal care to all women, regardless of circumstance. Dr. Gaither regularly lends her commentary and expertise on issues pertaining to women’s health, pregnancy and public health policy to leading national consumer health and lifestyle outlets across print, radio and online, including Parents Magazine, SiriusXM’s Doctor Radio, NY1, Women’s Health, Fit Pregnancy and as a featured blogger for The Huffington Post.
Via Twitter (@KeciaGaitherMD), and through her blog, ‘En Caul with Dr. Gaither’), Gaither delivers valuable information pertaining to a spectrum of women’s health issues – from taking medication while pregnant to the benefits of breastfeeding after birth.
Dr. Gaither received her BA in biology from Barnard College and her MD from SUNY Health Science Center in Syracuse. She completed her OB/GYN residency at Riverside Regional Medical Center, a subsidiary of The Medical College of Virginia and completed her maternal fetal medicine fellowship at the University of Medicine and Dentistry in Newark, N.J. Dr. Gaither earned her MPH in health policy and management at Columbia University. Most recently, Dr. Gaither served as a Maternal Fetal Medicine Specialist and Director of Perinatal Outreach at Montefiore Medical Center and Albert Einstein College of Medicine located in the Bronx, NY. Prior to her post at Montefiore Medical Center, Gaither served as the Vice Chairman and Director of Maternal Fetal Medicine in the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology at Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY.
Since October 2015, Dr. Gaither has served as liaison to the Association of Black Cardiologists, in which she promotes critical perinatal initiatives and continues her work of ensuring exemplary prenatal care is available to all women.
In 2011, Dr. Gaither served as an appointee of New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg to the HIV Planning Council of N.Y. In 2013, Gaither co-authored “The Confident Woman,” a must read book for women who desire increased confidence, self-esteem and empowerment.
Gaither currently resides in Westchester, NY. When not caring for her patients or conducting research, Gaither enjoys time spent with her family and traveling.
Professional Organizations & Participation
- American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Society for Maternal Fetal Medicine
- American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine –Senior Member
- Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics
- National Association of Health Services Executives
- New York Obstetrical Society
- New York Perinatal Society
- New York State Perinatal Association
Awards & Honors
- 2007, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 – America’s Top Obstetrician and Gynecologist – Consumer Research Council
- 2010 – Cambridge Who’s Who
- 2005 – CREOG National Faculty Award in Obstetrics and Gynecology
- 1997 – Second Prize Winner, New Jersey Maternal Fetal Medicine Society Oral Presentation: “Does Maternal Diabetes Modulate Expression of the Human Placental Glut-1 Glucose Transporter?”
- 1995 – First Prize Winner, District IV Junior Fellow, Annual Fall Meeting, Charleston, SC. Poster Presentation: “Dopplers as a Routine Screening Test”
- 1986 – 1988 – New York Regents Health Professions Award
- 1981 – 1985 – New York Regents Scholarship Award